Monday, May 3, 2010

The Lost Decade


I realize my postings have been lacking as of late. The thing is life has been going pretty good and since I use this blog as a sounding board for my rants and raves, I just haven't had anything to write about. That is until today. I was checking my email this morning blissfully unaware that life was about to give me a righteous backhand straight to the money maker. What on earth could be so humbling you may ask? A simple email from my high school reunion committee. SON OF A ?&%@! Are you serious? Has it really been 10 years? Indeed it has. It felt like somebody froze my big toe and then hit it with a sledge hammer. Now I haven't been living in denial (in this particular instance). I knew this was on the horizon but until an official notice was served, it seemed like some sort of mythical event that was never really going to materialize like a unicorn bar mitzvah or getting married. Something that just couldn't happen in this particular space-time continuum. I was one of a handful of graduates seemingly lost to that new fangled intraweb because I refuse to participate in the Big Brother of our generation, Facebook. Don't get me started on Facebook because I have some real issues with the whole social networking sites but that is a different rant for a different day. So I clicked on the link to see what this magical reunion had in store for me. I was whisked away to a jungle of bios on how the Class of 2000 was living their lives. I think I've made myself abundantly clear in the past on my stance towards the mindless drones that try to convince their peers that they've got the world by the tail. So I crawled through a handful of postings only to develop a combination of depression, anger, and apathy that manifested itself in the form of a nervous tick that has taken me a the last few hours to kick. So now I'm seemingly adrift in a haze of unbelief and self-pity trying to figure out how I ended up here and what I've got to show for the last decade besides three marginally successful houseplants and a pretty complete movie collection. Life can be such a cruel mistress sometimes.

On a side note: There was little chance I was going no matter when the date but the fact that the reunion is Aug 20-21 right in the middle of harvest, just solidified my plans to be a no show. Plus everybody already knows I'm too cool for school.

3 comments:

Kaden and Mindi said...

Mine isn't for 6 more years and I'm already a no show.

Angie said...

do you need me and Q to be your "stand in" family?

Unknown said...

Hey, I realize it is almost 2012, but what the heck, you might read this. I just ran across you blog, after many many hours of trying to find one a little more....whats the word, not old lady-ish, or a blog about a family, or crafts, or idk what. Anyway, nice writing, maybe you should jump back in, I would enjoy reading more of your stuff.