Monday, January 5, 2009

The Truth is Stranger Than Fiction


Last weekend I attended a wedding reception but before I get into that let me preface the story. A few months ago a friend invited me over to her friend's house for game night. I got there before most of the others arrived so I sat down and talked the the parents before we went and played games. I didn't think twice about it but apparently this is how it all got started. The day after, the mother of the house we were at called her neighbor whose husband happens to be in the bishopric of the singles ward and did some inquiring of me. She wanted to set me up with her daughter that lives in Seattle. This neighbor she called is the same person that set me up with the disaster phone number a few months earlier so she was a little hesitant to get involved but agreed that we would be a good match. So the next few months were spent trying to get us to meet which included everybody telling both of us how we were destined to be together but I was gone all fall and she lived in Seattle. So finally that magical night was to be at the wedding reception of the neighbor's daughter who happened to be good friends with my "soulmate." You can see how tangled of a web that was woven. Now back to last weekend. I showed up intending to pay my respects and get out of there. Oh how naive I was. The bride forced me to sit down and eat until I could be introduced to my future wife. The evening was enjoyable but you could feel the pressure in the air. After dinner was served, there was a dance so I asked the bride's sister to dance. We were about halfway through the dance when the bride grabbed my arm and practically dragged me across the room to meet this mystery girl. Well the entire room stopped what they were doing and focused all eyes on me. This is because the entire room had heard about our destined meeting at some point over the past few months so they had to see what would develop. So you can obviously see there was no pressure whatsoever. The bride introduced me to this girl and we began talking. Now you might think this is where the story ends. So wrong. Over the course of you conversation which lasted about a half hour, there were at least five people (including her mother) that approached us, interrupted our conversation, and asked how things were going. Now you might think things couldn't get any stranger. Wrong again. About 20 minutes into the conversation the groom's brother approached us. I thought he had a question but how mistaken I was. He asked to cut in and take this girl to the dance floor. The best way to describe my reaction was stupification. I just moved aside and watched in befuddlement. They get to the dance floor and her parents are staring in horror. This is because it was her mother that put the idea in his head. Only her idea was for him to ask her daughter's friend to dance not her daughter. So he just leaves her on the floor in the middle of the song to go get her friend. Just as he gets back to the floor with her friend, the music stops and the dance is over. Hilarious. I couldn't make up that kind of craziness.
Anyway, all in all is was an enjoyable evening.

For those of you who are interested, she was great and we had a good time.

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Please note, I did not interrupt you o.n.c.e.

. . . and I'm so glad you came to pay your respects.

. . . also glad you have you back in the area.

Cali said...

Who is this crazy bride of awkwardness. I like to think I have soooo much awkwardness that it spills onto EVERYONE else.

thanks for paying your respects.

Cali